SparkFun Digital Sandbox
A learning platform that engages both the software and hardware worlds.
- Includes everything you need to complete the 13 circuit experiments listed below.
- No soldering required.
- No previous programming or electronics experience required.
[Hackaday Full Review Pending]
The Digital Sandbox (DS) is a learning platform that engages both the software and hardware worlds. It’s powered by a microcontroller that can interact with real-world inputs – like light or temperature sensors – while at the same time controlling LEDs, motors, and other outputs. The Digital Sandbox is equipped with everything, on board, that you will need to complete 13 experiments including controlling an LED, measuring how loud things are, detecting what the temperature is, and more. Think of this as a SparkFun Inventor’s Kit all in one board!
By interfacing the Sandbox to your computer via a USB cable, the Sandbox can be programmed using the popular Arduino programming environment. To further simplify the learning experience, we’ve designed the Sandbox and its guide around using a simple, “blocky”, programming add-on to Arduino called, Ardublock. Using ArduBlock – a simple, graphical version of the popular Arduino programming language – you will be able to program all of the experiments with a simple graphical interface instead of writing code.
The full-color Digital Sandbox Guide (included) contains step by step instructions of how to connect each circuit with the included parts. Full example code is provided and explained and even includes troubleshooting tips if something goes wrong. The kit does not require any soldering and is recommended for beginners ages 8 and up.
Note: There are three additional circuit experiments included in the DS Guide that will require the Digital Sandbox Add-On pack (sold separately).
- Circuit 1: Exploring Blink
- Circuit 2: Multi-Blink
- Circuit 3: Dimming (the Hard Way)
- Circuit 4: Dimming (the Easy Way)
- Circuit 5: Color Mixing
- Circuit 6: Number Storage with Variables
- Circuit 7: If This, Then That
- Circuit 8: The Reaction Tester
- Circuit 9: Serial Calculator
- Circuit 10: Do the Analog Slide
- Circuit 11: Automatic Night Light
- Circuit 12: Thermal Alert!
- Circuit 13: Sound Detecting
- 1x Digital Sandbox Board.
- 1x Clear Acrylic Baseplate.
- 1x USB Mini-B Cable - 6ft.
- 1x Instruction Manual.
- 4x Phillips Machine Screw - 4-40, 3/8".
- 4x Standoff - 4-40, 3/8".
- LED Bar Graph.
- Slide Switch.
- Temperature Sensor.
- Light Sensor.
- RGB LED.
- Slide Potentiometer.
- Push Button.
- 3-pin Add-On Header.